HOME ABOUT US NEWS EXHIBITS OUR SCHEDULE CONTACT US


PPHS
Preserving the Past

Embracing the Present

Anticipating the Future

 The first meeting of the Parsonsfield-Porter Historical Socety was on August 27, 1946.  Early meetings were held in Norton Hall on the Parsonsfield side of the village of Kezar Falls.  The original purpose for the formation of the society was to preserve historical data, especially valuable records and relics of the early days of the two towns.  The Parsonsfield-Porter Historical Society was incorporated in 1953.  Mrs. Ina Emery was the first president and driving force in the establishment of the society.  She was also instrumental in the purchase of History House in 1955, a house built by her father, Preston J. Stanley.

History House, located at 92 Main Street in the town of Porter, was built in 1888.  The building was built for Preston J. Stanley, but has no particular historical significance.  It was purchased in 1955 as a meeting place and museum for the Society's growing collection of records and relics of the early days of the towns of Parsonsfield, Porter and South Hiram.  A new addition was completed late 2006 which added a research room, office, new entrance hall, handicapped accessible entrance ramp, and bathroom, as well as three storage rooms.  A furnace was installed to heat the addition and kitchen so the building can be used year round.  Parking has also been added at the rear of the building.  In 2010 the whole main house was rewired and modern lighting installed.    A fireproof, climate controlled vault is planned as soon as funds to build it can be raised.  

The original building has seven rooms and an attached barn which has been transformed into a meeting room and exhibit area.  Since 2000 several of the rooms; the kitchen, a children's bedroom, the main bedroom, and upstairs anteroom, have been renovated and opened for tours.  The front parlor has been established as the "Longfellow Room" since several pieces of furniture from Longfellow's birthplace on Fore Street in Portland have been donated to the Society.  The Longfellow Room also contains an extensive collection of Longfellow's books and memorabilia and a number of pictures of him and his homes.  Henry Wadsworth Longfellow has a connection with the town of Porter through the Wadsworth family.

From May to October, History House has "open house" once each month with exhibits and artifacts related to the area.  A major new exhibit is set up each season.  Open house and meeting dates are established each year.  The research room is available each Monday from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. during the summer months.  It is open as weather permits from October to March.  A schedule of open house and meeting dates is available on OUR SCHEDULE page.  For information on the latest exhibit see our  EXHIBITS page.

MEMBERSHIP INFORMATION

The Parsonsfield-Porter Historical Society invites you to join PPHS.  Your dues help pay for operating expenses and support the maintenance of History House and its collection of artifacts.  It also entitles you to receive the quarterly newsletter of the Society.  Meetings are held once monthly from April to November.

Annual dues are $10.00 for individuals, $15.00 for couples, $5.00 for students under 18 years.  

Make checks payable to the Parsonsfield-Porter Historical Society and mail to P.O. Box 250 Parsonsfield, Maine 04047.

PRINT FRIENDLY TEXT

HOME ABOUT US NEWS EXHIBITS
OUR SCHEDULE CONTACT US